Worship Service
Sunday 11:00 a.m.
(Summer 10:00 a.m.)
      Sunday School      

(Pre-K - High School)

Sunday 9:30 a.m.

530 Nwk Pompton Turnpike
Wayne, NJ 07470

DIRECTIONS Click Here
(973) 694-3424

pequannockreformed@yahoo.com



STAFF

Pastor
Rev. Edward Baugh

Organist/Choir Director
Lori Yost
Organist
Charyl Wilkins


ADMIN
 

We are part of the Reformed Church in America, the oldest denomination with a continuous history in this country. The Pequannock Reformed Church had its beginnings in 1875 as a mission Sunday School, the sanctuary was built in 1900 and the congregation was organized in 1927.

 

 

 

School House 1890 

1927 

Present 

 

Brief Timeline History of The Pequannock Reformed Church

     1875—First Reformed, Pompton Plains, starts holding Sunday School and Monday evening meetings at the schoolhouse on the NE corner of Black Oak and the Turnpike (the 1890 building is first on the cover)

     July, 1898—Ground is broken to build the “Pequanac Chapel” which is today’s sanctuary

     1900—Construction is completed on the Chapel (see second picture on cover)

     1912—The Mizpah Circle makes the final mortgage payment of $1,200 and the mortgage is burned

     November 3, 1922—The Chapel is wired for electricity

     November 22, 1927—Classis of Paramus organizes the First Reformed Church of Pequannock (original name of PRC) with 109 active members

     December 4, 1927—First communion service is held and 43 more join making a total of 152 charter members

     March 13, 1928—The church is incorporated

     October 16, 1928—First Reformed transfers the deed for the church property to PRC for $1.00

     October 31, 1928—Build a house at 84 Black Oak Ridge Road which becomes the first parsonage; Rev. Alexander MacCracken becomes first pastor

     1931—Rev. William Vander Borgh becomes pastor

     October 7, 1942—Parsonage mortgage is paid

     May 31, 1946—The church mortgage is burned

     Summer of 1949—Installation of the present pews to replace the wooden chairs

     1949—Charles Bennett begins two years of service as a student pastor at PRC

     1951—Rev. George Berens becomes pastor

     Spring of 1952—Kitchen moved from current upstairs bathroom area to current downstairs choir room area; cast iron stove is still in use in today’s kitchen

     Summer of 1952—Detached garage is moved to the Southeastern corner of the church building and is converted into rest rooms and a nursery department

     Early 1950’s—Secretary’s space is finished off; fire escape is built from its window to the ground

     1956—Present balcony and rear upstairs room are added

     1957—Stained glass windows are installed in the church

     1960—Rev. Warren Martens becomes pastor

     June 4, 1961—Ground broken for Fellowship/Faith Halls

     October 28, 1962—Fellowship and Faith Halls dedicated

     1964—Rev. Gordon Robinson becomes pastor

     July 1, 1965—Purchase parsonage at 455 Newark Pompton Turnpike

     1966—The present brick-crete siding along with some aluminum siding covers the church (see third picture on cover). Asphalt circle drive and parking lot are added

     1968—Church office and library are constructed

     1972—Church is redecorated and the chancel is opened up

     1981—Revs. Nolan and Phyllis Palsma become pastors

     Early 80’s—Add a pitch to the Hall roof to prevent leaks

     November 1, 1982—Bought parsonage at 7 Sandra Lane

     1983—Alice Wilhjelm hired as organist/choir director

     Fall, 1984—Chancel redone, choir and new Allen organ (our present one) placed in balcony

     1989—Place Lexan in belfry openings to discourage bats (didn’t work) and keep water out (did work)

     1990—Church enters the computer age

     1991—New chandeliers and fans installed in sanctuary. Rev. Ronald Franklyn becomes pastor

      The Adult Bible study class is formed by Pastor Ron

     1992—New front porch, steps, railings and pillars installed and the parking lot repaved; support of the Jansens in Japan begins

     1993—Pew cushions installed; Christ candle purchased by Memorial Fund

     1994—New choir stoles purchased by Memorial Fund

     1995—New sound system installed in sanctuary and Fellowship Hall for those with hearing problems; Advent candles and Memorial Book purchased as memorials

     1996—New rubberized roof for Faith Hall; December: Alice Wilhjelm retires as organist/choir director

     1997—Front doors to sanctuary are replaced as memorial; Allen organ Smart Recorder installed

     1998—Parking lot resealed and striped; August: Lori Yost (organist/choir director) and Charyl Wilkins (organist) begin; Sarah McGreevy begins as nursery attendant

     1999—Church sign is replaced and air conditioning added to the sanctuary to aid those with breathing difficulties; stone retaining wall installed along sidewalk; parsonage roof, gutters, windows and storm doors replaced

     2000—Downstairs “handicapped friendly” bathroom is added and wheelchair lift is installed to allow access to the sanctuary and basement levels from the driveway; new stalls in men’s room; steel doors for nursery exit;

     2001—New doors installed at rear entrances; parsonage kitchen and bathroom floors redone and new toilet installed

     2002—Upstairs bathroom floors and toilets are replaced at church; new robes and stoles for children’s choir; parsonage furnace replaced and central air added as well as interior French drain and backyard fence

     2003—Stained glass windows covered and protected; new windows installed in Faith Hall, bathrooms, nursery, and Mizpah Room; new gutters and helmets; NRSV pew Bibles, Worship and Rejoice hymnals and new paraments purchased as memorials

     2004—Yamaha Clavinova Digital Piano purchased for sanctuary; porch overhang at back of church rebuilt; half share of support of Janelle Koolhaas in Chiapas begins

     2005—Clavinova connected to organ sound system; Koolhaas support replaced by Justin Majawa and Save Orphans Ministries in Malawi, Aftica

     2006—The main electrical service for the church was replaced after a tree across the street pulled it and the telephone and cable wires right out of the church

     2007—Franklyns move into their own home and parsonage cost-sharing begins with a church family living there; parsonage driveway and deck replaced; church parking lot sealed and striped; Advent candle stand and new Christ candle purchased by Memorial Fund

     2008—Hand rails were added at the steps by the street; windows were replaced in the boiler room and Christian Ed office; 4 new organ speakers, a new candlestick for the Christ candle, and a video projector, DVD player and portable sound system were purchased by the Memorial Fund

     2009- www.pequannockreformed.com is launched.

     2010—Pastor Ron Franklyn retires and is honored with the title of Pastor Emeritus

     2011—Reverand Edward Baugh becomes pastor.  Tom Tenneson builds a new stable to house the manger for use at Christmas Time

     2012—First ever community block party is held in the park behind the church.  A new corss is hung and lighted in the steeple with funds from the Memorial Fund in memory of Miriam Arnott.  Pastor Ed marries Linda Cushman.  Facebook page is launched.

     2013—Blood drive held in memory of Cheryle Martensen with help from the Red Cross.

 

 
Today is 04/20/2014


VISIT US IN OUR
Air Conditioned Sanctuary

HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE

ASSISTIVE LISTENING DEVICES for Hearing Impaired

 

RCA NEWS